Can Chiropractic Care Help
with Tension Headaches?
At Millar Chiropractic Clinics, we understand that it can be difficult to find a sanctuary from the stress of our busy world. Stress hits us from all directions in the form of tension headaches. Especially now with the COVID-19 pandemic, stay at home orders, and so many living in fear or this virus. If you are suffering from frequent tension headaches or migraines, our chiropractor is ready to assist you. Headaches are one our our areas of clinic excellence and specialization. We have years of experience providing residents of Madison and Huntsville, AL relief from tension headaches with chiropractic care.
Symptoms of Tension Headaches
Almost 90 percent of all adults in the U.S. experience headaches. The majority of those are produced by tension. Some common symptoms of a tension headache are:
- Originates at the back of the head and moves forwards over the sides and top
- The muscle tightens in the neck, jaw, and shoulders
- Sleep difficulties
- Vice-like squeezing pain or dull pressure around the head
- Problems eating
- Pressure or pain or on both sides of the head
Causes of Tension Headaches
Frequent triggers of tension headaches include:
- Clenching the jaw
- Neck or head injury
- Hormonal changes
- Grinding teeth
- Alcohol and/or drugs
- Certain medications (even some medications for headaches that often cause rebound headaches)
- Holding one’s head in the same position for too long
- Sleeping in an awkward position or a cold room
- Sleeping on the wrong pillow or a bad mattress
Can a Chiropractor Help?
Duke University studied headaches and chiropractic. A large study was conducted in 2001 by Duke University's Evidence-Based Practice Center for Clinical Health Policy Research (1). The goal was set to identify and summarize from controlled trials, the efficacy of behavioral and physical treatments for tension-type and cervicogenic headaches.
Conclusions With Regard to Chiropractic:
- Cervical manipulation was associated with significant improvements in headache outcomes in trials involving patients with neck pain and/or neck dysfunction and headache.
- Adverse effects are uncommon with manipulation, and this may be one of its appeals over drug treatment.
- Manipulation is effective in patients with tension cervicogenic headaches...
Chiropractic care provides natural and successful treatments for tension headaches and migraines. Our chiropractor will evaluate your musculoskeletal system to identify the root cause of your headaches and create a chiropractic care plan to address it. Depending on your needs, our chiropractor may perform adjustments to realign your vertebrae and spine, use massage and other treatments that promote relaxation of your muscles, and suggest lifestyle changes. The exact combination of services will vary depending on the cause, severity, and frequency of your headaches.
Chiropractor in Huntsville and Madison, AL
If you are seeking headache and migraine relief, Millar Chiropractic Clinics is ready to assist you. For more information on how chiropractic care relieves headaches or to schedule an appointment, call us at (256) 830-0000.
(1) McCrory DC, Penzien DB, Hasselblad V, Gray RN. Evidence Report: Behavioral and Physical Treatments for Tension-type and Cervicogenic Headache. Duke University Evidence-based Practice Center for Clinical Health Policy Research. - 2001