Causes and Treatments for Low Back Pain
Most people will experience bouts of low back pain at some point during their lives. in fact according to US Federal Government statistics the lifetime prevalence of (common) low back pain is estimated at up to 70% of all adult persons. In fact, 31 million Americans experience low-back pain at any given time according to the American Chiropractic Association. (1). Back pain is the second most common reason for visits to the doctor’s office, outnumbered only by upper-respiratory infections.(2)
At Millar Chiropractic Clinics, our chiropractic team focuses first on getting patients out of pain. Next we concentrate on correcting the underlying low back problem, to the limits of the body. Third, we develop a custom rehabilitation program tailored specifically for each patients problem. This requires us .educating our patients about the anatomy and the mechanics of their backs. Finally, we help our patients understand how to take care of their backs long term in order to prevent injuries and low back pain in the future. If you are dealing with low back pain and you live in or around Huntsville or Madison Alabama contact Millar Chiropractic Clinics for quick and effective back pain treatment.
The Lower Back Carries a Lot of Weight
It is impossible to talk about the causes of low back pain without understanding its function and how the body as a whole depends on it. The primary responsibility of the lower back is to fortify the weight of the body's upper region. Without the lower back, movement within the upper region of the body would be very limited. Movements such as the rotating of the hips, twisting, and bending would not be possible.
Treating Pain in the Lower Back
There are several reasons why a person may experience low back pain, which is why our entire chiropractic team is dedicated to finding the root cause of our patient’s pain. One of our chiropractors will develop an individual plan of treatment that is based on the results of a physical exam and your medical history. Some of the chiropractic treatment modalities used by our chiropractors include spinal manipulation, heat and cold therapies, electrical muscle stimulation, cold laser therapy and decompression traction. This treatment plan will be designed to eliminate your back pain and meet your specific health goals.
Tips to Prevent Low Back Pain(According to the American Chiropractic Association website)
- Remain active - motion is life and life is motion - stay under the supervision of a Doctor of Chiropractic.
- Maintain a healthy diet and weight - Your Doctor of Chiropractic can help with diet and health recommendations.
- Avoid prolonged inactivity or bed rest. If you have low back pain try to get out of bed and to your Chiropractor.
- Lift with your legs, keep the object as close to your body as possible, and do not twist when lifting.
- Set up a long term exercise plan for your low back. This should be supervised by a Doctor of Chiropractic.
- Maintain proper posture.
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes and consider orthotic inserts for your shoes. Talk to your Chiropractor.
- Sleep on a mattress of medium firmness to minimize any curve in your spine. Your Chiropractor can help.
- Warm up before exercising or physical activities, Stretch after exercising or physical activities.
- Quit smoking. Smoking impairs blood flow, resulting in oxygen and nutrient deprivation to spinal tissues.
- Work with your doctor of chiropractic to ensure that your computer workstation is ergonomically correct.
Get Low Back Pain Treatment Today!
At Millar Chiropractic Clinics we help our patients live their best lives by reducing their pain and improving their quality of life. We have several locations in and around Huntsville, Madison, and Jones Valley, Alabama. Our chiropractors are ready to help you and eliminate your low back pain. So next time you search "Chiropractor Near Me", "Chiropractor Madison AL" or Chiropractic Huntsville AL" choose either Millar Chiropractic - Madison AL or Millar Chiropractic - Huntsville Al. Call the appointment canter today at (256) 830-0000 or (800) 462-4476 to schedule an appointment.
1. Jensen M, Brant-Zawadzki M, Obuchowski N, et al. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Lumbar Spine in People Without Back Pain. N Engl J Med 1994; 331: 69-116.
2. Vallfors B. Acute, Subacute and Chronic Low Back Pain: Clinical Symptoms, Absenteeism and Working Environment. Scan J Rehab Med Suppl 1985; 11: 1-98.